Friday, December 25, 2009

Chicken Cordon Bleu Over Noodles with Bacon Sauce

Despite being unemployed I am an extremely busy individual with a very full routine. Thus I have fallen waaaay behind in posting. So today I will post a recipe I cooked a few days ago. After this I will only be behind by one. The meal has been the banner on my site for some time now, and is one that I consider to be my best. 

My mother was a full-time worker, as most mothers are today. I can remember many an evening when, after returning from a hard day’s work as a school teacher, she would open a can of cream of mushroom soup and pour it over a few chicken breasts with salt and pepper. She would cook some egg noodles and a vegetable, and that would be dinner. I loved it. 

So when I started cooking for myself, I would many times find myself in the same situation, and I would make the same meal. However, I would always try to improve upon it. One time with cheese, another time with sour cream. Adding this, adding that, until one day I had a revelation (one that probably would have come to any other intelligent person a long time ago). Why not make the soup from scratch? No... Why not make the make the soup from scratch, add bacon, and make the chicken into chicken cordon bleu? So, that is exactly what I did. 

It may not be a quick meal anymore, but at one hour to prepare and cook, its not too bad... Lexie gives a 10 out of 10 to...
 
Chicken Cordon Bleu Over Noodles with Bacon Sauce 

Ingredients:
Chicken Cordon Bleu:
4 chicken breast fillets
4 slices of provolone cheese
4 slices of ham
1 egg, beaten
½ cup plain dry breadcrumbs
½ cup corn oil
all purpose flour, for coating

Bacon Sauce With Egg Noodles:
2½ tbsp butter
1 tsp lemon juice
4 spring onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp thyme
3 mushrooms, sliced
½ tsp white pepper
7 strips bacon, precooked and chopped
chicken trimmings (from cordon bleu)
1 tbsp all purpose flour
4 cups chicken stock
pinch celery seeds
chicken trimmings
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp all purpose flour (to thicken)
3 cups of egg noodles, boiled

Preparation Instructions:
1. Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat and then fry the garlic, onion, and thyme. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add the lemon juice, mushrooms, white pepper, and some salt. Continue to stir occasionally.
2. Cook until the mushrooms just begin to brown and soften. Add the bacon and chicken trimmings and then cook for a minute or two longer.
3. Add the first tablespoon of flour and stir. Let cook for one minute more.
4. Simmer and begin to add the stock slowly while stirring gently. Next add celery seeds and bring to a boil. Continue to stir.
5. Reduce heat and stir in the cream. Mix the the remaining flour with ½ a cup or less of water at room tempterature and add to sauce.
6. Return to low medium heat and stir occasionally until sauce thickens.
Season with salt and pepper and serve over chicken cordon bleu and egg noddles.

Serves 4
 

No comments:

Post a Comment