Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hard Times With Good Eating

Life sucks right now for the average American. Personally, I've been searching for a new job since last year. As an electrician in Florida, finding employment is as tough as a cut of flank steak. Home costs are upside down, college graduates are working at burger king, and families are searching their couches for spare change.

Personally, I know I'm crazy. In the midst of this economic downturn I have decided to blog about cooking. My house is being foreclosed on. I need to find, not just new employ, but an entirely new career. I probably need to move to a state that does not have one the highest employment rates in the nation. Yet, having never blogged before, I have suddenly and inexplicably decided to create this blog about food. Insane.

However, I need to feed my family. And I must have a vent for my culminating frustration. While I work to solve my unemployment/housing/economics crises, I will cook, create, inspire, and fulfill as well. Who knows how long the process will last? All I am sure of is that there may not be a job, but there will be food. One way or another, I will have provisions for my family.

As far as the culinary arts are concerned, I am no stranger to them. I have enjoyed cooking since I was young, although I didn't do it regularly (nor was I even efficient) until marriage. In fact, while my wife and I were dating, I accidentally tripped and poured boiling water down my chest while attempting to prepare pre-packaged ramen noodles! Its amazing my wife still married me. However she often joked about how she was obviously going to do all of the cooking due to my apparent inability to even boil water! Though that was hardly the case.

After meeting my wife's brother, who is a chef, I learned a great deal. I became determined to cook as well as he did. He showed me many things during my frequent visits to his house. Eventually I mastered the use of knives, was making everything from appetizers and soups to entrees and desserts, cleaning and filleting fish and poultry, and creating my own recipes. Heck, I even learned how to boil water!

Maybe eventually I will become a professional cook. It has become a goal of mine. Who knows? Until then, I am just the cook in my house. My wife, Lexie, is the photographer and taste tester (a very tough one). And my son, Harrison, well... he makes the messes for us to clean up. Its a very important job...

Harrison likes to create too.




No comments:

Post a Comment